An easy and super simple way of cooking chicken resulting in a tender and juicy chicken meat, full with flavour and nourishes your body. It’s comfort food for your body and soul.
WHAT IS ESSENCE OF CHICKEN?
Essence of Chicken is all-natural extract of fine quality chicken processed under high temperatures. It is a traditional remedy for several ailments, including the use as a nutritional supplement for mental fatigue and sickness.
It has been shown to increase metabolism by reducing tiredness and increasing oxygen flow to the brain for improved concentration. It can be drank in room temperature or hot, cooked with food in steamed fish, chicken or frog legs.
TIPS TO MAKE A GOOD STEAMED DISH
Steaming food is one of the most fundamental cooking techniques in Chinese cooking. Many tasty Chinese dishes including rice can be steamed in a single pot by stacking them up one on top of the other using metal or bamboo steaming racks. It is an efficient and healthy way of cooking.
Steaming uses a moist-heat cooking method; cooking most foods relatively quickly without leeching off its nutrients. Compared to other conventional cooking methods, steaming eliminates the use of other fats such as butter and oil to allow you the experience of the food’s natural and unique flavors.
- Have enough water in the wok before place the steaming rack and dish on top. If you need to top up, use hot water to prevent the change of temperature.
- Always use a heat-proof dish when steaming food
- Exercise caution when removing the lid as the hot steam may scald. Use a dish retriever tongs or kitchen mittens to remove dish.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THIS DISH
- Chicken Leg. Any parts of the chicken can be used but 1 chicken leg is perfect portion for 1 person, with enough fat to keep the meat juicy.
- Essence of Chicken. Use any brands, it usually comes in a small glass bottle.
- Gojiberry. or also called wolfberry. Gojiberries are native to Asia and are known to maintain eye health and strengthen liver, lungs and kidney.
- Red Dates or known as dried jujube are used in many chinese cooking. It is believed to balance the Qi of the body and improve insomnia.
- Dried Shiitake Mushroom. These mushroom needs to be hydrated and it can be done by soaking in hot water for sometime till it softens. It will add umami richness to the dish.
- Ginger. Use old or young ginger and julienne them. Benefits of ginger includes anti-inflammatory and ease indigestion.
- Chinese cooking Wine, or Shao Xing Wine is a type of rice wine and used in many Chinese dishes to enhance its flavour. It’s alcohol content usually cooks out in steamed dishes due to the long cooking time.
Steamed Chicken with Essence of Chicken
- 1 Chicken Leg
- 1 tbsp Cooking wine
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of white pepper
- 1 thumb size ginger, julienned
- 3 dried shiitake mushroom, soaked in warm water
- 6 Red dates
- handful goji berries
- 1 bottle Essence of Chicken
- handful fresh coriander
- Clean chicken, rub with salt and cooking wine. Add 1 bottle Essence of Chicken, half of julienned ginger to marinade. It can be done overnight or just 30 minutes.
- Soak shiitake mushroom, drain and squeeze mushroom, cut to slices.
- Set up steamer with a rack, fill up enough water and bring to boil with the lid close.
- Using a deep plate, add chicken, marinade, remaining ginger, mushroom, goji berries and red dates. Steam for 30 minutes.
- Once timer is up, turn off heat and remove dish with a dish clipper. Add coriander leaves on top.
Check out other dishes in this series